Monday, November 11, 2013

Gumbo's Favorite Snack: Now he's just a little more spoiled.

When I adopted Gumbo, he had a terrible bout of Demodectic Mange.  I mean, it was horrible, and the poor baby was miserable.  We went through several different medications at the vet, all of which made him incredibly sick to his stomach, which in turn, made me incredibly sick to my stomach.

Finally, after a lot of research, trial and error, and pure luck, we found a treatment, and essentially a cure for his mange.  The main thing we did, was change to an organic/holistic dog food.

We also switched his beloved cookies to Blue Health Bars, which come in yummy flavors like Bacon, Egg, and Cheese,  Pumpkin Cinnamon, and Apples with Yogurt.

Gumbo is also a huge fan of all natural peanut butter.  He likes for me to smear some on his raw hide bones, and then he goes to town on them.

I've seen a lot of recipes online for dogs, but I was intimidated by most of them, until I found the recipe below.  I knew he would like the peanut butter in the recipe, and I had a feeling he would like the applesauce, too.

This took about half an hour, from start to finish, and Gumbo loves them.


This is all it takes!  So easy!
Peanut Butter Dog Cookies
Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 tablespoons peanut butter (I used no-stir natural, chunky.)
  • 1/2 cup (4 oz.) unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4-1/2 cup hot water
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the wheat flour and baking powder.
  3. Add the peanut butter, apple sauce, and egg, and stir to combine. (I used my hands.)
  4. Add 1/4 cup of the hot water and mix until combined.
  5. Add the remainder of the hot water a little bit at a time, until the dough reaches the right consistency. It should be pliable, but not sticky. If it becomes sticky, add a little bit more wheat flour.
  6. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out about 1/4 of an inch thick.
  7. Use a cookie cutter to cut out individual cookies, and poke a couple of holes in each one with a fork. This will keep them from puffing up too much when they are baking.
  8. Bake on un-greased cookie sheets. I baked them for about 12 minutes.
  9. Cool completely.

Aren't they cute?



Gumbo wants to know if you have any recipes I can make for him?! Please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment