Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Our 1st Anniversary: Year One as Husband and Wife

This past Saturday, September 7th, Matt and I celebrated our first year of marriage.  It really has been a great year.  And to me, it was a FAST year.

I mentioned to Matt that I didn't realize how quickly the year went by.
Me: "It doesn't seem like we've been married for a year, does it?!"
Matt: "Yeah.  It does...  But that's not a bad thing!"

He always shoots straight from the hip!  And I love that about him.

I thought it might be a fun idea to take a look back at our wedding and the past year.  Here goes!


Thursday, September 6th, 2012:
I took off work at noon the day before we got married.  I needed to get a few things done.  I was making my own bouquet and Matt's boutenniere, so I needed to go buy the flowers and ribbon, etc.  I also wanted to finish cleaning the house, just in case we had people decide to crash after the party.  But, in the back of my mind, I had a terrible, nagging feeling that Matt wouldn't make it home in time.


My bouquet was white roses and green hydrangeas.
Wrapped in cream satin ribbon with pearl accents. 

Matt's Boutonniere 

Here's the deal:  Crew changes are hit or miss.  If Matt tells me he will be home on Tuesday, I typically expect him around Wednesday or Thursday.  This is especially true since his boat wasn't coming into port, rather, he was crew changing via crew boat.  The last I had heard, was that he would be home by 5 o'clock PM on Thursday.  I knew we were pushing it.  The ceremony was scheduled for 3 o'clock PM on Friday.

The two main sources of my stress were the rings and the marriage license.

The Rings:  Trust me, we weren't procrastinating, Matt wasn't sure of his ring size and his class ring was in his truck in Port Fourchon, so I couldn't measure it. The wonderful people at Lou's Jewelry ordered three sizes for him, and told me they could send the two that didn't fit back.  Miss Cindy at Lou's also told me that if none of the three sizes we ordered fit him, she would let us take one just for the ceremony, bring it back later, and order the correct size then.  Miss Cindy also told me to call her if Matt would be home close to 5:00 (they closed at 5) and she would keep the store open late for us so we wouldn't have to worry about it on Friday.  Seriously, can't say enough good things about those guys!

The License:  You can't pick up a marriage license with only one person there.  I called the probate court in Mobile County to double and triple check what we would need to apply for our marriage license.  We could have done this earlier, since marriage licenses are valid in the state of Alabama for up to 90 days before the actual ceremony, but we had initally planned on a November wedding, and decided while Matt was still on hitch, to get married when he came home.  (We had planned on having a big party, but with Matt's unpredictable schedule, and my need to stress out about everything, we decided a small, last minute visit to the JP was better. Any oilfield wife, who has planned a wedding while her husband was on a hitch, knows our reasoning.

So, while I waited to hear from Matt, I made my bouquet and his boutonniere, cleaned the house from top to bottom, had dinner with my parents and niece, called my soon-to-be mother and sister in-law, and some close friends, in order to nail down plans, and eventually drank two bottles of champagne by myself.  (I would normally never drink that much alone, but I did that night...so there you go.)

I kept trying to remind myself of what Matt's mom told me when we talked that afternoon, "We can't do anything without him, so its not like he's going to miss it!  You'll feel so much better this time tomorrow!"  Man, she was so right!

Finally, at around 10:00 PM, I heard from Matt.  He was on dry land, in New Orleans, and headed to Mobile!  I can't tell you how happy I was!  I immediately passed out. As I'm sure you can imagine, the stress and champagne combined were counter acting each other.  Stress keeping me awake and anxious, champagne calming me down, so once one of those factors was gone, the other took full effect.  The next thing I remember is hearing his heavy boots walk down the hall of the house.  He was home!  And he was tired.  Very tired.  It was about midnight, maybe later, when he finally made it to Mobile.

Friday, September 7th, 2012:
The next morning, I let him sleep until 10:00. I was itching to get to the courthouse to get the marriage license before doing anything else.  So, bless his heart, after traveling for 10 hours to get home and being awake for 48 hours total, I woke him up.  He obliged my mini-freak-out, and got up and dressed.  We were out the door and on our way to the courthouse by 10:30.

Sometimes, my mini-freak-outs pay off.  Sometimes, I am just annoying enough to push whoever into doing whatever, for whatever insane reason I may have.  Matt knows how to calm me down, tell me to chill out, and that everything will be ok, but for whatever reason, that morning, he just rolled with it.  (Probably lack of sleep and energy.)  When we arrived at the courthouse, we were the only couple there applying for a marriage license.  When we left there were, at least, 15 other couples in line.  That is what winning feels like!

By then, it was close to 11:15, and we needed to pick up the rings.  Matt thought he wore a size 11 ring, so we ordered a 10.5, 11, and 11.5.  Wouldn't you know that the 11 fit perfectly!  I had my engagement ring and earrings cleaned, and we were on our way.

Matt really needed a haircut and a beard trim.  I love his "woolly booger" look (that he rocked even before Duck Dynasty made it popular), but he really wanted to look a little less scruffy.  He also realized that he needed a belt to wear with his new suit.  So, while we were running my car through the car wash, I was thinking, "Where can we get a belt and a beard trim in one place?"  JC Penny!

As I mentioned in my last post, Matt is very charming, and as he sat in the chair, getting his beard and hair cut, he was Flirty McFlirtpants with the ladies in the salon.  He was the ONLY guy in the place, but he was also the life of the party (as always)!

Nothing like a haircut and a bead trim at JC Penny on your wedding day!  

By the time we finished with the belt-buying and hair-trimming, we were both starving.  So, for lunch, on our wedding day, we ate Foosackley's.   What is Foosackley's, you ask?  Well, it is not exactly what every bride/groom craves on their wedding day. But greasy chicken fingers, fries, and Foo sauce were just what we both needed!  We headed back to the house where Matt got a nap, and I got glammed up!

Matt's mother and sister came to the house to help us get ready, and it was just what I needed.  Kristen and I have been friends since we were in elementary school and we were inseparable in high school.  Mama Grace has been like another mother to me my whole life.  So, having the two of them there was a huge comfort.  They helped me with my hair, we consulted over make-up, then Kristen helped me with my veil.  Those are precious memories that I'll never forget.

I love this picture!  

We all drove over to the Strickland Youth Center, where my Step-Mom, Jana, works. We were married by Judge Naman, a family friend, in the same court room where juvenile delinquents receive their sentencing.  Of course, it doesn't matter to me that we were married in a court room as opposed to a church or beautiful outdoor setting.  I wouldn't trade those few minutes, in that court room, for anything in the world.  We didn't have a professional photographer, we didn't have any songs or music, but we were surrounded by people who love us.  That's what mattered to me.  I will fully admit to crying.  Matt does not cry, but I swear, for just a quick nano-second, I might have seen the beginning of a tear.



With Judge Naman in the court room, saying I do!

After our ceremony, we drove over to the Battlehouse Hotel, where I had a costume change and then a few cocktails at Joe Cain Cafe until our reservation for dinner at the Royal Scam (our favorite restaurant in LoDa) for dinner.  After dinner, we headed back over to Joe Cain Cafe, for more cocktails, until it was time to party-party-party at Dahlia's Electric Piano Hall.

At Joe Cain Cafe having Wedding cocktails!


Our first dance!  I have no idea what song they were playing. 

If you've never been to LoDa (the lower Dauphin Street district for you non-Mobile peeps), you need to go.  Think Bourbon street with less drunk people.  And make sure you go to Dahlia's!  If its your birthday, anniversary, bachelor/bachelorette party, or wedding night, they will be sure to pull you on stage and make you do totally embarrassing things, no lie.  (But its all in good fun!)

We were pulled on stage and taught vulgar dance moves to "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog," that we had to perform to the audience. I would have never thought you could make that song dirty, but alas...leave it to the guys at the Dahlia's...

Joy to YOU and me!
Matt was cool as a cucumber....

Until this happened!
Needless to say, we had an incredible time!  And the next morning, I woke up with food poisoning.  Not kidding!  I spent the day after our wedding sick as a dog, while Matt fed me crackers and Gatorade.  We kept it low key and watched our Mississippi State Bulldogs play football (they won) and watched Harry Potter movies, in between naps.

And the next Monday, we bought a motorcycle! Isn't that funny?!  Most of the time, you hear about guys selling their motorcycles after they get married.  We bought one instead!

Our wedding present to each other!


Fast Forward One Year Later

It has been a whirlwind of a year!  The most major change was purchasing our home on the Bayou.  If you haven't read that story, you can find it here.  That was another one of those moments where I went totally nutso-correcto and Matt had to reel me back in.  (He's pretty good at that by now.)  And much to the dismay of our parents, we aren't planning on children anytime in the near future.  Of course, we would be ecstatic, but parenthood just isn't in our plans right now.  Besides, I have a hard enough time keeping up with Chopper and Gumbo, can you imagine me with a real-live-human-child?

What is in our plans?  Well, funny you should ask.  I have a LOT of plans, but as to what gets done and what gets thrown on the back burner is anybody's guess.

Matt and I sat down just a few weekends ago and made a list of what we would like to accomplish/change with our house.  A few examples are:
Matt - extend the deck and install a hot tub, build a raised bed garden, build a sailboat and sail to the Florida Keys;
Sarah - tile the kitchen, install window treatments in the living room, change flooring in the guest bathrooms, update the front flower beds.

As you can see, Matt has more grandeur goals than I do.  And seeing as how I haven't completely finished the first guest bathroom remodel (read about that here and/or here), its probably a good thing that my goals are less lofty.

We would also like to take a big trip (can you call it a honeymoon after a year of marriage?).  We've played around with the idea of going rustic, like camping in the Badlands of South Dakota, or somewhere tropical, like Hawaii or Fiji, or somewhere very very far away, like Alice Springs in Australia.  Who knows?!

This year really has been a blessing for us.  I can't wait to see what the next 50 years bring!

Happy Anniversary from the Bayou!!

No comments:

Post a Comment