Friday, July 5, 2013

What's more American than Apple Pie? Coca-Cola Cake, that's what! *Recipe Post*

Every year, on the 4th of July, I head down to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi for the annual Idaho Street block party.  Its a blast (literally) every year!  All of the neighbors come together for food, fireworks, music, and general shenanigans.

This year, I decided to make the most American desert I could think of: Coca Cola cake.

Now, I'm not sure if all of you readers had a grandmother as awesome as mine, but I'm hoping you did, cause if she was super awesome, she would have made you a Coca Cola cake on your birthday every year, like mine did.  And it just so happens that Grandmother Murphy's recipe box found its way to live with me, and I squealed like a piggy in mud when I found her Coca Cola cake recipe in the box.


AND I REMEMBERED TO TAKE PICTURES!  Here we go!

Mise en place: Get your ingredients all in one place!  (Buttermilk was in the fridge...oops.)


Coca Cola Cake
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking pan. I like to use Crisco, cause you know NOTHING will stick to a pan greased with Crisco.


 
In a large bowl, mix together:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (very important!)



Then, in a medium saucepan, bring this to a boil:
1 cup (that's two sticks) of REAL butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened, I like HERSHEY'S)
1 cup Coca-Cola (bottle or can, doesn't matter)
1/2 cup buttermilk (weird, I know, but trust me)




Now, pour your boiling mixture into the flour mix and stir until most of the lumps are gone. (Its impossible to get rid of all the lumps, but try if you must.)





When you've stirred to your little heart's content, add this to the bowl and stir more:
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (don't use imitation, we bake with the real stuff around here!)



Now, pour the mixture into your Crisco'ed  baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, you should be pre-heated to 350 at this point, if you're not...go back to baking 101, pre-heating is important!



When about 5 minutes remain on your timer, make this stuff in the same saucepan as before (no use in dirtying another saucepan, right?), bring to a boil and pour over the HOT right-out-of-the-oven-cake:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (HERSHEY'S again, please)
1/2 cup Coca-Cola









As much as you want to eat it RIGHT NOW, wait until it sets or its just going to fall apart on you. I like to eat mine the next day.  Just enough time for the glaze to soak in and crystallize into the most delicious thing you've ever put in your mouth! Trust me!




The best part about making this cake, is all but one of the ingredients is a staple in my kitchen.  I just don't keep buttermilk hanging around very often.  BUT, if you're not excited about buying buttermilk, just to use a 1/2 cup of it for this recipe, its your lucky day...I have a FABULOUS buttermilk custard pie recipe...uh, huh. That one is Matt's fave.  I'll post that recipe soon.

Happy Independence Day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment