Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mississippi Roast:Dedication to the Diamond Dawgs! *Recipe Post*

Matt and I are both Mississippi State University grads.  We love our Bulldogs!

MSU vs. Georgia 2010 Season.  This is the game where I got a mean case of "Cowbell Shoulder."  AKA: Tendinitis. 

And in honor of our success in the College World Series, I've decided to post a Pinterest recipe review for "Mississippi Roast."  Once again, I forgot to take pictures, so you'll just have to use your imagination and I'll try to use really good adjectives. 

Now, I'll be the first to admit, I was a little skeptical.  My typical crock-pot roast recipe calls for a can of "cream of mush" and lots of potatoes, onion, and carrots.  This recipe calls for none of those things.  Here we go:

Diamond Dawg Roast (Originally Mississippi Roast)

1 chuck roast
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch powder
1 packet McCormick Au Jus Gravy Mix
1 stick of REAL butter
5 pepperoncini peppers

Directions: 

Put chuck roast in your crock pot or slow cooker.  Sprinkle the ranch powder on top of the roast, sprinkle the Au Jus on top of the ranch powder, put a stick of  real butter (I can't stress that enough) on top of the two powders, then arrange the pepperoncinis around the butter, still on top of the chuck roast.  Cook on low for about 8 hours.  

(Find the original recipe, with pictures, here: A Perfectly Lovely Ordinary Day)

I cannot describe to you the incredible smell that I encountered when I arrived home from the office.  I mean, my house smelled like Heaven.  I have always imagined Heaven would smell like cotton candy, or fresh cut grass, or chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven.  I was wrong. Heaven will smell like Diamond Dawg Roast.

Did it eat well?  Yes, I would say it did.  It was flavorful, tender, juicy, and made the most delicious gravy. This was not your thick, cornstarch/flour like gravy, but more of an Au Jus.  But the kind of Au Jus you want to eat by the spoonful, but are too embarrassed to admit that you would actually eat gravy by the spoonful. (You know you've though about it!)  I served it with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and cheddar rolls (no recipe for those, they came from the bakery at Belle Foods).  

And here's a funny:  Our family has a very diverse college background. Let me break it down for ya:

Dad - Southern Miss
Jana - South Alabama
Susannah - University of Texas
Shane - Virginia Tech
Grandaddy - Ole Miss
Chauncey - Florida State
Chris, Matt, and Me - Mississippi State (Majority rules, baby!)

We all love and support each other's schools, but we're still pretty competitive.  

So, last night, Dad, Jana, Wesley (my brother-in-law), and Hayley (my niece) were fixing our plates, when Dad says: "Did you take any cooking classes at State?"  I responded with yes, sir.  Then he says "Let's see how good that Mississippi State education really is."  Haha, funny. But he enjoyed it, so I'm claiming victory in the Roast category and in the Best School category. And if my Dawgs pull off a College World Series championship, no one will want to debate with me when the "who's school is better" conversation comes up. 

So, I'm calling this recipe a success.  I might add potatoes and carrots the next time I make it, just cause I love roasted potatoes and carrots so much.  

Oh, and one more thing:   

Maroon!  White!  Fight! Fight! Fight!  Mississippi State! Woo! Ya' Damn Right!



No comments:

Post a Comment